A BIKE RIDE! To GARNET!

In Sickness and in Health.
JustPassinThru

A BIKE RIDE! To GARNET!

#1 Post by JustPassinThru » August 26th, 2016, 2:04 am

Yesterday I had nothing to do - in my current situation that's not unusual. But I had a full tank of gas on the bike; and some motivation; and great weather.

Garnet, Montana, is less than 70 miles from me right now.

What is Garnet? A ghost town. Sadly, now, rebuilt partially by the Park Service. It's in an area that was inhospitable until just the last generation...basically inaccessible. A gold camp; it went through two stages of boom and bust, until finally, in the 1950s, F.A Davies, the General Store owner, passed away.

The last saloon owner's wife (can't find the name now) continued on, with few customers, until her own passing in IIRC, 1964. The hotel, abandoned with its fixtures, had mushrooms growing out of its made-ready beds...I guess they weren't so scrupulous about washing linens towards the end.

Anyway. The town holds some memories to me - because I camped out here, in 1989, before it became a FEE AREA NFS monument. At the time it was a property that had been finally given to the Forest Service; and a volunteer caretaker was just doing what he could. An old guy. He let me camp in my truck on what had been the main street.

I was too broke even for a camera. Life goes on; and who would know this Ohio boy would wind up living just down the way?

Garnet has been preserved the way Bodie, California has been. Rebuilt with "aged" lumber. Plaques. Buildings now preserved. All it needs now is concession stands...already they have the public toilets, no lie. Crowds of retirees, who when I was first here, were in the prime of their careers...now they roll along with Winnebagos and walking canes and other old-fart tools, and come to these places.

Something gained, I guess...but something lost.

Garnet Ghost Town

Rudy2D

Re: A BIKE RIDE! To GARNET!

#2 Post by Rudy2D » August 26th, 2016, 9:30 pm

Neat.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths. ~Pr. 3:5-6

Love animals; God has given them the rudiments of thought and joy untroubled. ~Dostoyevsky

JustPassinThru

Re: A BIKE RIDE! To GARNET!

#3 Post by JustPassinThru » August 26th, 2016, 10:40 pm

Moar to come.

I've had a SPECIAL REQUEST - to go and visit another ghost town, about a hundred miles from here...and photograph it.

Oh...no...not driving my old junker truck over there.

Going in STYLE!